What is MetaLAN ?
MetaLAN is a systems management, remote computing, software audit / software license tracking and hardware inventory tool.
MetaLAN can dramatically increase the productivity of the Network Admin and Helpdesk staff. Remote control, monitor, plan hardware and software upgrades using the included reports and health monitoring. Know what software is installed on the network. Get to the bottom of technical issues faster than ever. Save time and get more done in the time you have.
All this, without needing to visit or install anything on the client computers!
MetaLAN is a different take on Systems Management. Most systems management solutions are complex to install and maintain, with a myriad of dependencies and prerequisites. With MetaLAN you can be up and running in minutes. MetaLAN is fast and lightweight, delivering near real-time information on the computers and users on your network. Our software architecture uses only ubiquitous, inbuilt operating system technologies. MetaLAN releases technical staff to cater to their customers instead of managing the systems management solution itself.
Want to know what’s on your network… right now ?
MetaLAN can do a full Windows inventory of 1000 endpoints in less than 10 minutes! Maybe a little longer if there are slow WAN links but you get the idea. Software, storage, network latency, logged on users, serial numbers, it’s all there. On top of that, you can scan SNMP devices, WakeOnLAN (WOL), shutdown, view processes, start new process or kill errant processes, deploy software, monitor health and a bunch of other real-time stuff including remote control. MetaLAN is like a Swiss army knife for your Windows network and the best thing is, it does not need any agent software installed on the endpoints.
MetaLAN is indispensable for client support staff. Just let them have a play and you’ll find out but you should probably install MetaLAN server first. Within a few seconds they will know if the support call is due to low storage, high CPU or just a user not understanding how to drive a piece of software. Why waste time guessing? Not only that they’ll have the real-time tools to help fix the problem, right at their fingertips.
MetaLAN is like a Swiss army knife for your Windows network and the best thing is, it does not need any agent software installed on the endpoints.
And for the systems specialists, many of our customers use MetaLAN alongside heavyweight tools like Microsoft’s System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) to cross check data collection, perform new network on-boarding and to just add a bunch of real time capability to their tool kit. …is that software deployment actually working? Check now, don’t wait for SCCM to sort itself out… you know what we’re talking about.
No, it’s not the answer to every problem but it is designed to answer the common ones and it does provide a lot of flexibility and capability for a great price. In our opinion, most networks would enjoy a healthy and fast ROI when using MetaLAN. Why not try it out for yourself? It’s a small download, 5 minute install with a full 30 day license included!
MetaLAN Administrator is the primary application in the MetaLAN suite. This application alone provides: network scanning, basic software inventory, hardware inventory, reporting, remote control, performance monitoring, remote software installation, remote WMI queries and many other features.
- Agentless operation is at the centre of the MetaLAN design. Clients will fully integrate with MetaLAN without the need to visit or install an agent.
- Remote control. For remote support of computers and servers.
- Monitor health. Quickly check performance and ascertain if there is a problem with a computer or server.
- Monitor processes. View processes on remote computers. Monitor CPU/Memory/IO/Owner of individual processes and allow processes to be started and killed.
- Shutdown or Reboot groups of computers.
- Scan network segments for devices that use the SNMP protocol.
- Wake On LAN (WOL). Wake groups of computers.
- Deploy MSI and EXE setups to groups of computers using the Remote Software Deployment Tool.
- WMI query from a computers WMI database. Get information not available anywhere else like RAM slot usage and much more.
- Reporting for global OS, hardware and software installations and configurations.
- Easy export of data to multiple formats including, HTML, XML, text and CSV.
- Save reports to HTML for portability and easy presentation.
- Software License Manager for tracking installation counts by install, machine or user.
- Run as a standalone application or use MetaLAN Server (Free) for consolidated data collection and storage.
MetaLAN Administrator is all that is required for standalone operation
MetaLAN Server is part or the MetaLAN Systems Management Suite of software. MetaLAN Server periodically scans the network and stores the collected information in a database for retrieval. The information can be displayed, searched and reported on using MetaLAN Administrator and License Manager. Installing MetaLAN Server greatly enhances the availability of network data and provides accurate statistics over time. MetaLAN Server does not require an additional license and is very easy to install.
- Hardware InventoryManufacturer, model, serial number, CPU, memory, MAC address, hard disk information is collected.
- Software InventoryInformation about software installed on scanned nodes. Discovery date, software title, operating system and service pack information.
- Node StatusLast user, online status, logged on status, last contact time, IP Address, hard disk usage.
- Statistics over timeStatistics are collected over time enabling you to easily see how the network is changing over time. For instance a graph can be generated showing the growth of nodes running on virtual infrastructure(e.g: VMWare or Microsoft Virtual Server). Graph reporting is available for Scan Time, Total Node Count, Server Count, Virtual Nodes Count, Online Nodes, Online Servers, Nodes Logged On, Servers Logged On, Os Type Counts and more.
- Comprehensive LoggingAll scanning events can be logged down to the debug level if required.
MetaLAN Server enables server mode operation
Stand-alone mode only requires MetaLAN Administrator to be installed. Stand-alone mode is great for networks with only a few Administrators or temporary installations. In Stand-Alone Mode each database is local to the computer MetaLAN Administrator is running on. In most cases you can expect to be up and running in 5 miniutes!
Download MetaLAN Administrator All that is required for standalone operation
With larger networks or several administrators using MetaLAN, Server Mode is recommended. MetaLAN Server periodically scans the network and stores the collected information in a database for quick retrieval. Installing MetaLAN Server is easy, download it and install it on a server computer.
Download MetaLAN Server Enables server mode operation
Licensing and Activation
Use of MetaLAN Administrator and Server is included with all MetaLAN licensing. A 30 day evaluation license is included with the installation package.
MetaLAN may be licensed by a user subscription license or with a perpetual managed node license.
User Subscription License
The software may be licensed per user on a subscription basis. A subscription license is recommended for a large network with a few MetaLAN users or for contractors that use MetaLAN on several networks. Each individual user must have a valid subscription to use the software. The subscribed user may use the software on any number of nodes or networks.
Perpetual Node License
The software may be licensed on a managed node basis. A perpetual node license is recommended where there are several users or contractors that need to use MetaLAN. If information is collected from a computer the computer is deemed a managed node. In most cases this is the number of Windows computers on the network although MetaLAN may be licensed for a subset if desired. MetaLAN Administrator or Server may be installed and used on any licensed node. Purchase includes 12 months software maintenance, upgrades and priority support. Annual maintenance may be extended at any time.
A link to download a unique activation file is sent to the purchaser with 24 hours of purchase.
Please contact support to ask any questions you might have regarding licensing.
MetaLAN FREE TRIAL
Download a fully functional 30 day free trial of MetaLAN.